Friday, February 11, 2005

Google mapping phone numbers

I received an email last week warning me that if you typed your phone number into google it would return a link to map the address associated.

The warning centered around the possibility of kids giving out their number and a pervert using it to get the address of the child.

The email went on to provide instructions on blocking your number.

I have to counter that the problem isn't with Google and blocking your number is not the solution.

The solution is two-fold.
  1. Teach your children not to give out personal information. Don't give it out on-line or at the park or anywhere. It's a bas idea.
  2. Know what your kids are doing. Talk to them about who they are chatting with and emailing. If they get evasive, watch more closely. Read their mail. Check their browser history. Know their passwords. Make sure they know that they have a right to privacy, not secrecy.

The goal is not to be a tyrant, the goal is to keep your kids safe.

And do me a favor, don't block your phone number from google, I forget where you live, I need that map.

No comments: