Monday, August 29, 2005

A Tangled Relationship

I got to thinking about my best friend because her brother Owen and his wife Lucie are coming over for dinner. I hadn't seen her in a few years, since her brother's wedding in fact. But her family seems like my family and our lives have become fairly intertwined over years and miles.

{As a side note, Gwendolyn still wonders why she wasn't in that wedding. All the previous weddings she had attended she had had a formal position.}
So I drop Treloar an email. It was one of those, "Hey how are you? How have you been?"
She replies back with a general overview followed by the following:
I saw your sister in May at Ben's wedding. It was bizarre explaining to the connection. You to Owen through me, Owen to Michelle through you, Michelle to Ben through Owen. Kind of like this: Michelle's younger brother's best friend in high school is the best man's older sister, and the younger brother introduced the best man to his sister, and then the best man introduced the groom to the sister's best high school friend's older sister.
I laughed my butt off and my co-workers looked at me funny (again).
It never ceases to amaze me how lucky I am to have a friend that I relate with so well. After knowing her for 15 or 16 years, most of which were spent apart with years of no interaction, she still brings me joy.
I can't wait to see how our families intertwine as time goes by.
If you are in the Chicago area, stop on by the Notebaert Nature Museum and ask for Treloar. Tell her Aaron says "Hi!" And tell her that he misses her.

No comments: