Thursday, September 22, 2005

So now we wait

So we think we are prepared. We have batteries, flashlights, matches, food, water.

It's odd. The day is so nice. Last night we went to the YMCA to swim with the little kids. I just sent Gwendolyn out to ride her bike. I think I'll take them to the park later.

Tomorrow should be a nice day too. (As long as you define nice as 100+ degrees.)

We are hearing stories from friends on the road that they are going single digit MPH trying to get out. Many are returning home. It may get better when the Man opens the highways to contra-flow traffic but I'm not holding my breath. The news is reporting that traffic is stopped for 125 miles outside of Houston.

I'm glad so many people learned some lessons from the tragedy in Katrina. Folks are leaving. Lots of them. And the government is taking a tough love approach to the stragglers; "Here are 100 ways to get out of Galveston/Houston. Call 311 if you need any help. And if you are in an evacuation zone and choose to stay behind, you are already dead and shouldn't expect rescue or support." [Most of the previous statement was paraphrased except the "already dead" line.]

No comments: