Thursday, September 22, 2005

Twelve hours and bread: Hurricane Rita

We now know the parameters for the 12 hour rule. That means that if you don't evacuate 12 hours before the storm hits, don't go.
9:00 AM is the magic hour. If we don't leave by then it is unsafe to leave. We are still planning on staying. We'll get by.

Things to do tomorrow: Pack a few bags and put them in the van. Load batteries into the flashlights. Get the walkie-talkies from the neighbors. Walk the yard again for anything that might get thrown.

When we went to the store yesterday we were unable to find any bread. So last night and tonight my very wonderful wife baked a total of four loaves of bread, two white and two oatmeal. They are delicious.

Susan has been great during this whole thing. I know she is scared. But she trusts my judgment and has been the logistical expert to make sure that everything has gone smoothly.

She is the best and is more than I deserve. I love her with all my heart.

Shout outs to my friends out there across Texas and the nation. Especially:
  • All the Tredennicks and the Shipp connection
  • The Sister, Jason, Thaddeus (Hope you catch your flight. Take care and don't die, OK?)
  • the 'rents, and 'rent-in-laws (I'll take care of her)
  • The Walters clan
  • Cox and birds
  • DrunkenBatman (It's cool buddy. Trust me.)
  • Getronics eServices
  • The good folks at wincustomize.com
  • Melissa (Out in Plano I think. I appreciate your thoughts)
  • Minny's girl scout troop
  • The 'hood on Glade Springs
  • The Mighty Squirrels

I want to give props to the Houston and Texas government. There have been issues with outgoing traffic, huge issues. But everyone here is doing an awesome job of keeping it local. I agree that the feds have a place but it's not their time yet. Great job Mayor White and Gov. Perry.

No comments: